Thursday, August 2, 2007

distractions

So apparently I'm terrible at blogging, it looks like its an every two weeks thing for me. Not because there is nothing going on in my life, but simply I don' tknow why. I sit at a computer for 5 hours a day M-F at work, normally not busy, but for some reason not wanting to share... I"m not so sure.

Anyways. I've been back almost a month, and I promise you it gets harder as the days go by to be here. Let me tell you why...

Distractions. Interference. Disturbance. Hindrance.... is mostly what I've been finding since being home.

In Africa...my prayer was that the Lord would reveal Himself to me completely. I prayed for Him to give me HIS heart for this kids, to let me feel their pain, to give me their burdens, to let me weep for them when they couldn't.... And He did. He gave me just that.

Walk with me through this analogy.

I have been home a month...but I'm realizing my eyes are adjusting to the brightness (busyness) of what is America...and my relationship with God is starting to fade into the background. I mean, I have so much to do! Right, but wrong. If I would only adjust my focus to Him, all my stress and worry would disappear.

So He gave me this picture:

Turn your eyes upon Jesus, look full in His wonderful face, and the things of earth will grow strangely dim in the light of His glory and grace.

When we focus our eyes on the Son, Jesus, then the things of this world, it's temptations, fears, worry, and hurts pale in signfigance.

I have prayed against this, but it has happened. I prayed that I would not fall back into the ways of this world, that I would keep my eyes just on Him.

I desire to live my life to have purity of heart, being single-minded, focused on what will please the One who created me.

1 comment:

Kendra said...

Ashley, ashley, ashley....

This world provides so many distractions for us to focus ourselves on. But realizing this is FIRST! So good for you. Or good for God for showing you. BUT you know how we always talk about "training our minds"? This is one of those things where we have to train our minds to focus on the eternal. For me, that's trying to put my mind and heart in a constant state of prayer. Going to hang out with someone, pray that he would use you to be an encouragement and build her up. Going to work, pray that you would work as though for the Lord and that He would give you opportunities to share your testimony. I know it's not as hard core as the things you did in Africa, but the Lord still takes GREAT JOY in the ways that we minister here. We have to realize that whatever we do, whether we are eating or drinking, we do it ALL to the glory of God. Doing one thing isn't better than another as long as we are doing it to bring Him glory. I do love your heart and your transparency. Come over soon.